Kissimmee, a city in central Florida, enjoys sub-tropical weather with unpredictable rain and flooding. Accidents in such conditions become unavoidable, especially when the basic rules and laws are neglected both on the road and at other places, leading to accidents while driving, slipping and falling, and so on. As is the nature of accidents, they result in personal injuries that cause pain and suffering and involve expensive medical treatments, disruption, and loss of work and personal life.
You can be careful to safeguard yourself from accidents. Still, you cannot control the actions of others, whether due to negligence on the road or at other places or the occurrence of accidents due to weather conditions.
If you are involved in an accident and suffer from injuries, the best decision would be to consult a personal injury lawyer in Kissimmee to understand your rights and available legal options. Remember that every accident is unique, and no two cases can be approached similarly. But along with this, you also need to be aware of the steps you can and should take after the accident. Here are the basic steps advised by lawyers that need to be followed as a general rule of thumb:
Advice from Kissimmee’s personal injury lawyers
- Medical attention: The immediate and necessary step is to seek medical attention immediately after sustaining personal injuries in an accident. Health is paramount; medical attention and advice are essential even if you consider them minor injuries. Sometimes, minor injuries can develop into something serious over time, affecting your health and harming your chances of a claim.
- Collect information and evidence: If you are in a position to and are physically able to, collect as much information and facts as possible at the accident scene. This should include photographs of your injuries and the accident site, the names and contact details of the witnesses and the other party involved, including their insurance details. If you aren’t in the state to do the needful, perhaps you can request that your family or friend collect this information. Preserve all the evidence and information, including any correspondence with the insurance companies.
- Report to the authorities: Next in line is informing and reporting the incident to the relevant authorities, like the police, especially if you were involved in a car accident or a situation that demands the involvement of law enforcement agencies. Ensure to acquire a copy of the filed report for future reference and proof.
- Detailed documentation of your injuries: Remember that any legal or lawful action is based on evidential proof. So, document the details of your injuries, like photographs, medical investigation reports, medical treatments, and bills. You will need these documents to file a personal injury claim.
- Consult a lawyer: Once all the relevant information and immediate actions are fulfilled, contact a personal injury lawyer in Kissimmee for further advice and guidance. The lawyer will carefully assess your case from a legal angle, apprise you of your rights, and guide you accordingly regarding any legal action required.
- Communicate with caution: Be very careful with your communication with the insurance companies. Consult a personal injury lawyer in Kissimmee before sharing information or accepting settlement terms with the insurance companies. If you have engaged a lawyer, they will communicate with them and negotiate on your behalf.
- Damage assessment and action: Assess the damages sustained and incurred due to the accident. Attorneys have a method to calculate the damages and will make a monetary assessment that includes all the financial and personal damages you have suffered, including the loss of wages, pain, and trauma. Afterwards, your lawyer will assist you with negotiations for a fair compensatory settlement. If the negotiations fall through, they can recommend filing a lawsuit, which they will represent in court on your behalf.
- Conclusion of the process: As per the circumstances and the nature of the negotiations, your case may go to trial if a settlement is not reached. Your personal injury lawyer in Kissimmee will argue the case in court, presenting strong evidence, questioning the witnesses, and, if required, presenting opinions in court by the experts in the field. They will fight and advocate for your best interests, doing their best to get you justice. Always remain connected with your lawyer to stay informed regarding the process and the proceedings.